Thursday, December 01, 2005

Censorship: How the government OWN3D us all

The FCC never fails to amaze me with their blatant defiance of our blood-ransomed right to free speech. Where did they get the term "acceptable for community standards" out of this black-and-white decree?:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

According to Dictionary.com, to abridge means to "reduce in scope while retaining essential elements". It seems to me the fathers made it very clear that in no way shall the government step on the freedom of the press, or anyone's right to speak or broadcast whatever they wish.

In practice, this might be debatable if we were talking about public broadcast media, subsidized by tax money. Instead, we're talking about cable television, which all customers must pay per month to view. Basically, we've got the FCC now telling Comedy Central, telling South Park (and others) what they can and can't show to an audience of paying customers. If that's not evil enough for you, I'll leave you with a Patrick Henry quote to wake you up to the severity of it:

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."

-Partick Henry, to the Virginia Convention of June 5, 1788

As always, I'll remind you that a revolution of ideas will likely suffice, but we need to combat this usurpation of Constitutional Rights with whatever means are necessary. Our freedom, and our very lives depend on it. Our ancestors fought King George's mighty Redcoat Army in places like Lexington, Concorde, and Valley Forge in order to secure these freedoms for future generations of free Americans. It is a sad day when the very government we installed to protect ourselves has grown into such a monster that it feels it can control the freedoms of the citizens it derives its power from. We can honor the sacrifice of our patriots of both pen and sword by preserving these rights for future generations.

By the way, I'm the newest contributor to the site, The BlackLabelAxe, from Kennesaw, Georgia. I'm a kitten-killing metalhead, a powerlifter, and a freedom fighter. As you may have suspected from my name, I'm a fan of American metal such as Corrosion of Conformity, Pantera, The Black Label Society, Nevermore, and Metallica. My taste for metal includes worldwide acts also, such as Opeth, In Flames, Meshuggah, Sepultura, and Soulfly (even though they're really American). I'm into so much music that it's impossible to list it here, but those are some of my favorites. I'm sick of all the left vs. right bickering that is keeping us from making any real progress in this country, and I never hesistate to shell partisans with pummeling artillery rounds at the very first whiff of corruption. I'm a rabid supporter of Constitutional freedom and capitalism, which is why you'll regularly hear me supporting the Fair Tax amendment. I'm an engineer by trade, but I've always got an axe to grind in the political arena. I'll shut up now before I start to ramble, but I'm looking forward to many posts and comments in this arena. It's quite a joy to hear from well-spoken metalheads who enjoy honest political discussion, even if we don't agree on everything.

3 comments:

BigNewsDay said...

Welcome to the site Mr. Axe. Great post! I fully agree with you. If we don't take a stand now, all of our rights away. This is a problem i blame on radicals on both sides of the fence. Whether it is the Christian Coalition or all of the people trying to ban religion from everywhere. It is quite sickening.

BlackLabelAxe said...

Thanks, BND. It really doesn't matter who's fault it is, it's a mess and we need to clean it up (although I do agree that radicals on both sides probably got us to where we are today).

It makes me sick too. Read about the battle at Valley Forge. Think about what those brave men went through just so that we could watch stupid bullshit on TV. If we let it go for good, they would have sacrificed in vain.

BigNewsDay said...

I do agree. We do need to clean this mess up. I think D.C. needs to be cleaned out.